Umbreon Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Umbreon Forums!!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to Umbreon Forums!!

Pokemon X & Y Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shado

Shado

Pokemon X & Y Review Empty
PostSubject: Pokemon X & Y Review   Pokemon X & Y Review I_icon_minitimeMon 04 Nov 2013, 11:58 am

A new game is out, as you all know, but I noticed that not many have a copy. I'm pretty sure everyone is planning to get a copy but hey, I'm bored and I'll try to make this spoiler free, naming the good and the bad of this new game.

The game, like all others in the series, is developed by GameFreak [So don't go yelling at nintendo just yet] and has been released on the 3DS console. The game has interesting new mechanics, a new pokemon type and, obviously, new pokemons. However, it lacks in this selection with only 70 new pokemon, but it also has a new type of evolution, Mega Evolution, which has been given to 27 pokemon. 

On the topic of Mega Evolutions, collecting them all is an impossible task due to how the games were coded, as some are only found in X while others are only found in Y. You can trade the stones over however, but unless you have the second game, good luck trying to find a friend who will let you have theirs. Two pokemon also share 2 mega evolution each, one for each games. Mewtwo and, for some strange reason, Charizard. Why only charizard, and not all of the kento starters remains a mystery. 

The games new mechanics can be both fun and annoying at the same time. The new pokemon amie allows you to befriend your pokemon easier, by feeding them petting them and playing minigames with them [Similar in concept to games like Nintendogs] and the Super Trainer allows you to play minigames to boost the base stats of your pokemon [Essentially, an easy way to EV train] However, there is some flaw with the Super Trainer, in order for your pokemon to do well in the advanced minigames, it needs to have a strong attack or special attack, as this scales up the number of 'points' you score in the minigames. 

Spoiler:

There are also new kinds of pokemon battles, scarse Sky battles, which can only be taken by fying pokemon, and pokemon with the levitate ability. Horde battle, which consist of a group of 5 wild pokemon that are weaker then the area's level limit, possible by half, against your single pokemon. And finally, Inverse battles which, for those who don't talk to everyone, will never find any as its only given by one guy, once a day. The inverse battle consist of inversing supper effective types, such as Ice being supper effective against Fire. 

Another great sounding feature is Trainer Customization, which allows you to change your look. But don't get any ideas, this is far different then the Pokemon Battle Revolution customization.
Spoiler:

Customization apart however, the game itself is really interesting, the story is well thought of, and the design of the buildings feel more life-like, in some areas. However, the game isn't in full 3D yet, and it doesn't even support the 3DS's 3D slider [In fact, the game slows down in battles if its on] The end-game is pretty lacking as well, with only one new town opening, and a few areas that were previously blocked opening, such as mewtwo's cave, which was vastly disappointing. 

On a final note, the lack of the ability to transfer pokemon from previous games scares me. All that I heard so far is talk of an external program sold in the 3DS eShop called the pokemon Bank, which I've hears is a paid subscription once every year, which comes with a free pokemon transfer tool. But how free this is going to be, and how long it will last remains a question. A lot can happen in a year, and for those purchasing this game in a year from now, expect the fact that you may be unable to transfer pokemon from previous games up to this point. 

Between the overpriced clothing option [Obviously based on japanese Yens amount] The limited amount of new pokemon and interesting new mechanics, I feel like this game has been rushed. I feel like, if they had kept the game for maybe a year longer, we would have had a great title, and while my own purchase pf the game had been a hasty one, I have no regrets for this version. As sub-Par as it feels to me, if I am ever to stop buying games of the series, I would actually feel glad to have ended on such an interesting title.
Back to top Go down

Pokemon X & Y Review
Page 1 of 1